Subject: Re: bug#68684: [PATCH] dictonary.el documentation

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:04:58 +0800

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: [PATCH] * lisp/net/dictionary.el: satisfy checkdoc
>
> (dictionary-tool-bar-map): add missing period
> (dictionary-process-popup-replies),
> (dictionary-read-definition),
> (dictionary-display-tooltip): rename ignored parameters
> (dictionary-tooltip-track-mouse): describe what function does, not just when
> (dictionary-switch-tooltip-mode): reword docstring in terms of ON parameter

Thanks.  Nowayman, we cannot install this as-is, since the formatting of
the commit message does not meet our standards.  Please capitalize the
first character in each sentence, punctuate sentences with periods
followed by two spaces, and either omit commas after the identifiers in
entries sharing a description or move such identifiers into a single
line and pair of parentheses, provided that such line totals fewer than
64 columns.

I find that a surprising number of individuals cannot produce correctly
formatted entries on the first attempt.  Is the layout of our
documentation part of the problem?  We should consider why the 124-odd
lines' worth of advice in CONTRIBUTE are being overlooked by most new
hands whose patches turn up in this list, and even some old ones,
because correcting improperly formatted patches individually gets old
fast.