Subject: bug#68684: [PATCH] dictonary.el documentation

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:29:33 -0800

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks.  Nowayman, we cannot install this as-is, since the formatting
> of the commit message does not meet our standards.

Well, I'm happy to fix it up and install it.  I assume you reviewed it,
so do you see any other problems with the patch?

Skimming it very quickly, it looked like a fine contribution to me.

> fewer than 64 columns.

ChangeLogs should fit within 80 columns prefixed with a tab, so that
should be 72 columns.

> I find that a surprising number of individuals cannot produce
> correctly formatted entries on the first attempt.  Is the layout of
> our documentation part of the problem?

I think it's the format that's the problem.  It's archaic and foreign to
most developers.  There's not much to do about it, I think.

> correcting improperly formatted patches individually gets old fast.

I find that it's generally more time-effective to just fix up patches
when installing them, and then say something like:

    Installed.  I changed the commit message to better fit our
    conventions, please have a look for next time.

Usually, people will be more appreciative of that than long lists
enumerating every dot and comma that they got wrong.