Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support dhcpcd in dhcp-client-service-type

From: Sören Tempel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2025 17:20:55 +0100

Hi,

Quelln wrote:
> I just wanted to as the status on this, considering it's almost the
> new year. ISC-dhcp has been deprecated for a long time now, maybe it's
> time to merge these patches and resolve any blockers that remain?

I am very much still interested in working on this, I have been using
Guix with dhcpcd every since (though with a slightly different service
definition) and haven't encountered any issues since.

I can refactor the existing dhcp-client-service to not rely on PID file
supervision. Alternatively, in case this makes review easier, I can also
submit the package separately so that we can discuss the package
decoupled from the service definition.

Regarding the service, it may also be worthwhile to add a custom service
for dhcpcd instead of extending the existing one. Though that would make
migrating to dhcpcd from isc-dhcp more involved for users.

WDYT? How do we best proceed here?

Greetings,
Sören