Subject: Re: bug#68666: warning if --exclude-dir arg contains /?

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 15:23:50 -0700

That's not quite true, as it can match command-line arguments. 

I see. Perhaps the manual could be a little less terse than expecting
readers to understand the difference between "name suffix" and "base
name".  Ok, it's clear in retrospect, but ...  maybe something like (not
sure I got it correct):

---
  Skip any command-line directory with a name suffix (possibly with
  several file name components) that matches the pattern @var{glob}.
  When searching recursively, skip any subdirectory whose base name
  (the last file name component) matches @var{glob}.  Ignore any
  redundant trailing slashes in @var{glob}.
  
  In other words if @var{glob} contains a @samp{/} (except for the
  ignored trailing slashes), the pattern will never match when searching
  recursively, but may match against explicit command line arguments.
---

    It should be possible to give useful warnings in some cases, though.

If glob contains a / and there are no command line args,
it seems a warning is warranted?

    Probably too late to change the meaning of existing options now,

Agreed.  --thanks, karl.