Subject: Re: [bug#68665] [PATCH 00/12 rust-team] gnu: Add Rust dependencies of python-cramjam.

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:36:12 +0200

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 12:02:21PM +0100, Troy Figiel wrote:
> Two short points:
> 
> 1. It seems I forgot to add my copyright. In the past I added it to
> crates-graphics.scm and not to crates-io.scm as I thought. I could add
> an additional 13th patch, or maybe it would be easier to include it in
> one of the other patches.

I've added it for you to crates-io, and also to rust-apps.

> 2. How is the cross-build-system depedency best handled? In the git logs
> I have found two merges of the rust branch into master (1 month and 9
> months ago), so if the merge happens once every ~6 months, it could be a
> long wait. I am not in any rush, but in the meantime it does block me
> from upstreaming other Python patches that depend on python-cramjam. If
> there is a better way to handle this, I would love to know.

We don't really have a target.  I figured every 3 months or so, enough
time to cover 2 rounds of rust version bumps, would probably be a good
cadence.  Checking qa.guix.gnu.org I don't see that anyone has asked for
a merge currently, which is about when I'd plan on jumping in.

In terms of goals for the branch currently, I'd like to make sure that
it re-adds support for riscv64 (up to 1.75 locally!) and try to figure
out the issue I'm having on ppc64le with building rust-1.73.  And also
move more packages out of crates-io to other modules, it's still over
3000.

Also, patches pushed.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   רנשלפ םירפא
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted