Subject: [bug#68656] [PATCH core-updates 0/7] Cryptsetup woes

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:42:06 -0500

Hi Josselin,

Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working on core-updates, trying to build gnome and the desktop
> configuration example.  I've already pushed some fixes, but cryptsetup and
> lvm2 are proving to be quite annoying: for the same reason as the recent mpv
> patches [1], the Require.private fields of pkg-config files are actually used
> even when dynamic linking [2].

Ooof.  I've read this whole thread, and if I got something right, our
best options would be:

1. try using pkgconf instead of pkg-config, which supports
Requires.internal as a correct way to define Requires.private for truly
private libraries, and may have a different handling (more correct?) of
the Requires.private field.

2. Specify the -Ddefault_library=shared in the default configure-flags
of Meson; when done that way, Meson doesn't add the libs to
Requires.private in its generated .pc files.  That obviously means
building static libraries is not supported, but that's not a concern too
great for Guix, I would think.

Thoughts?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim