Subject: bug#68647: 30.0.50; ERC 5.x: /LIST fails on some servers

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:04:57 -0800

Tags: easy, help

>From emacs -Q:

  1. M-x erc RET testnet.ergo.chat RET ... RET
  2. /list RET
  3. Notice the absence of any output

Hints:

- What's a built-in way to spy on traffic between ERC and the server?

- What happens when you remove `list' from `erc-modules' and issue a
  /QUOTE LIST instead? What determines where replies are printed?

- Does the use of `erc-once-with-server-event' by `erc-cmd-LIST' makes
  sense?

- What does "ELIST=CMNTU" mean, and how is it relevant here (if at all)?

- How might you create a unit test for this issue?

(Please only answer these questions out loud if you're willing to fix
the bug.)

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2024-01-04 built on localhost
Repository revision: 1081e975c9370999df1a288b117bfd9053050d21
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring comp-run comp-common erc derived auth-source eieio
eieio-core password-cache json map format-spec erc-backend erc-networks
easy-mmode byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile erc-common inline cl-extra
help-mode erc-compat cl-seq cl-macs gv pcase rx subr-x cl-loaddefs
cl-lib erc-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 149907 11404) (symbols 48 11361 0) (strings 32 27740 4779)
 (string-bytes 1 971593) (vectors 16 17647)
 (vector-slots 8 310679 13296) (floats 8 27 25) (intervals 56 330 0)
 (buffers 976 12))