Subject: Re: bug#6864: 24.0.50; ld: duplicate symbol _QPRIMARY in keyboard.o and xselect.o

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:37:44 +0200

Am 16.08.2010 um 09:56 schrieb Jan Djärv:

> Fix checked in.

Jan,

GNU Emacs compiles now, but it seems to have a problem with <down- 
mouse-2>... Usually it would insert text from a previous copy. This  
fails. When I use the paste entry from the Edit menu, which is bound  
to C-y, it inserts a text from the Mac OS X pasteboard, not from the X  
(PRIMARY) selection. When I switch from the X client GNU Emacs to a  
native Aqua/Mac OS X application, the old X selection is now available  
on <down-mouse-2>...

The way to select a word is double-click or <double-down-mouse-1>. The  
failure happens in this version:

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2010-08-16 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10899906
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec -fast' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,- 
dead_strip_dylibs' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2''

while this older version works fine (instant paste of what I selected  
before):

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin9.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2010-07-23 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version  
11.0.10899906
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-dbus' '-- 
without-pop' '--without-gconf' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--x- 
libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include' '--enable- 
locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g -H -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC  
-fno-common -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -faltivec -fast' 'CPPFLAGS='  
'LDFLAGS=' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CPP=cpp-4.2' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango- 
ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/ 
share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/ 
share/pkgconfig''

Could be it has to do with the setting of PKG_CONFIG_PATH, which I  
used to be able to (almost) decide which libraries (those from Fink or  
those from MacPorts) will be used. (There are problems with viewing  
graphics images.) I'll try to reconfigure and to recompile the same way!

Complete lossage record when I enter the *scratch* buffer by clicking  
into it, inserting ä to have a mark of start, then double clicking a  
world, positioning the cursor in the empty region right of ä, pressing  
<mouse-2> to insert the selection (nothing happens), and finally  
inserting an ö to have a mark of the end in the lossage record. Then  
typing C-h l. (In *scratch* buffer I only see äö.)

<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> ä <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<double-down-mouse-1> <double-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> ö C-h l

It seems that now something is missing to synchronise X11 and Mac OS X  
pasteboard. This happens when I switch from X11 to Mac OS X and back  
again. In X11 the selection in the new GNU Emacs is instantly  
available, it also works to select a word in old Emacs and insert it  
in new one. In old Emacs the selection is instantly available for  
pasting by <down-mouse-2>.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Perl—the only language that looks the same before and after RSA  
encryption.
				- Keith Bostic