Subject: bug#68637: closed (Re: bug#68637: 30.0.50; image-dired-mark-tagged-files and ls -F)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:46:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68637: 30.0.50; image-dired-mark-tagged-files and ls -F

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68637: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68637
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68637: 30.0.50; image-dired-mark-tagged-files and ls -F
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:45:14 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Manuel Giraud <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:25:30 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> [...]
> 
> > Manuel, would you please post a complete patch, with the corresponding
> > log message, so we could install this?
> 
> Sure.  Here it is.

Thanks, installed on the master branch, and closing the bug.

Subject: 30.0.50; image-dired-mark-tagged-files and ls -F
From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:30:55 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Severity: wishlist

0. cd "$(mktemp -d)"
1. HOME="${PWD}" XDG_CONFIG_HOME="${PWD}/.config" emacs
2. M-x set-variable RET dired-listing-switches RET
3. M-n C-e C-b F RET
4. C-x C-j
5. M-x dired-create-empty-file RET rc RET
6. M u+x RET
7. M-x load-library RET image-dired RET
   [this step needed because of bug#68636]
8. C-t t tag RET
9. C-t f tag RET

Result   : 0 files with matching tag marked
Expected : 1 files with matching tag marked

At first glance it looks like the

  (search-forward-regexp (format "\\s %s$" curr-file) nil t)

in image-dired-mark-tagged-files doesn't take into account any of the
indicators that 'ls -F' may append to file names.

The commentary suggests using dired-mark-files-regexp would be too slow.
I wonder if that's still the case, or if there are any faster
alternatives without loss of generality?

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-01-18 built on tia
Repository revision: a33f3947ea1ba429570e2ecb4c3167341dcae1a2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101010
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' -C --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --enable-checking=structs --without-native-compilation
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils image-dired-dired
image-dired image-dired-tags image-dired-external image-dired-util xdg
image-mode exif find-func dired-aux cus-edit pp icons wid-edit dired
dired-loaddefs cus-start cus-load thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68253 9240) (symbols 48 7826 0) (strings 32 20916 2086)
 (string-bytes 1 576398) (vectors 16 11867)
 (vector-slots 8 130263 8964) (floats 8 42 1) (intervals 56 418 0)
 (buffers 984 12))