Subject: Re: bug#6861: 24.0.50; Scroll lock not bound

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:11:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 15:00:36 +0200
>> 
>> According to Git's logs, w32-scroll-lock-modifier keyboard support was
>> apparently originally contributed by Geoff Voelker in 1999 (he has not
>> been active since that year) and subsequently maintained and documented
>> by you (last documentation changes in 2016).  For better or worse, that
>> probably makes you by far the best candidate for documenting (and/or
>> possibly even for fixing) the interactions of w32-scroll-lock-modifier
>> with default activations of the Scroll Lock keybindings on non-Windows
>> systems.
>
> What if the best candidate doesn't necessarily have time for doing
> everything for which he/she is the best candidate?  Does the best
> candidate then get to be able to ask someone else to do it?

Nobody gets to ask someone else to do anything regarding free software
unless paying them for it.  In the end, that means that most features
and ports get maintained by those interested in the particular port
and/or feature.

The quality of the Windows port, like all ports, stands and falls with
the interest of those investing time and energy into it.  Blocking
useful features for free platforms because of interference with
non-standard settings of Windows-only special features is something that
does not make a lot of sense within the frame of the GNU project.

If you have a concrete proposal of what to do better other than "don't
touch this code", based on your relative acquaintance with it, that
would likely go a long way towards keeping things running also on W32.

-- 
David Kastrup