Subject: bug#6861: 24.0.50; Scroll lock not bound

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 15:00:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:28:30 +0200
>> Cc: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > > > What about w32-scroll-lock-modifier?
>> > >
>> > > I'm unfortunately not familiar with that at all, since I never use
>> > > Windows.  Nor do I currently have access to any Windows boxes for
>> > > testing.  Would this patch break something on w32, or would it just
>> > > not work there?
>> >
>> > It might not work if w32-scroll-lock-modifier was customized to have
>> > ScrollLock act as a modifier key.
>> 
>> Could someone with access to a Windows machine please test this patch?
>
> I can, but I'm not sure I understand what you'd like to test.  With
> the default value of w32-scroll-lock-modifier your patch will
> definitely work; with w32-scroll-lock-modifier customized to some
> modifier, like 'super, it will certainly NOT work.
>
> So I think we need to tell Windows users that this binding won't work
> if w32-scroll-lock-modifier was customized to a n on-nil value.  Any
> suggestions for where to document that?

According to Git's logs, w32-scroll-lock-modifier keyboard support was
apparently originally contributed by Geoff Voelker in 1999 (he has not
been active since that year) and subsequently maintained and documented
by you (last documentation changes in 2016).  For better or worse, that
probably makes you by far the best candidate for documenting (and/or
possibly even for fixing) the interactions of w32-scroll-lock-modifier
with default activations of the Scroll Lock keybindings on non-Windows
systems.

-- 
David Kastrup