Subject: Re: role of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:31:45 +0100

Hello,

Am Sat, Dec 09, 2023 at 11:33:54AM +0100 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> Am Sat, Dec 09, 2023 at 11:16:14AM +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> > With that in mind, ‘core-updates’ would effectively become the branch of
> > the ‘core-packages’ team: the branch where we update packages in these
> > files (primarily the toolchain and Guile), perhaps also (guix build
> > utils), and that’s all.
> > How does that sound?
> Sounds good, thanks to you and Maxim for thinking it through!

is the current core-updates branch ready for building and merging?
I am looking at an issue:
   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/68606
that adds a patch (updating patchelf) that, as far as I understand, is
already available on core-updates. So I feel somewhat blocked for the
issue.

The last merge was in spring of 2023, I think, and my patch updating wget
is lingering in the branch since last July. So I am afraid we are reenacting
the problems we had with the historic core-updates branch. It would be nice
to merge and to move the branch to its new purpose.

Also,
   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/65200
from last August is blocked by a core-updates merge (it should probably go
to the new-style core-updates branch, and would be the starting point of
working on bootstrapping from a newer GMP).

Andreas