Subject: Re: bug#6859: [[email-masked]: corrected .emacs snippet for merging your own Info files]

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:30:18 -0400

> * currently:
>
> (require 'info)
> (setq Info-directory-list
>       (cons (expand-file-name "/home/bob/info")
>             Info-directory-list))

That has been incorrect since at least Emacs 21.4 (I didn't look at
older versions).

> * should be:
>
> (add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
> 	  '(lambda ()
> 	     (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
> 			  (expand-file-name "~/info"))))

That will work, but the advice in doc/misc/info.texi in Emacs seems
better:

  If you wish to customize the Info directory search list for both
  Emacs Info and stand-alone Info, it is best to set the
  @env{INFOPATH} environment variable, since that applies to both
  programs.

Then you don't have to worry about Emacs-specific stuff in the texinfo
documentation.