Subject: Re: bug#68583: 29.1; Can't find the cat manpage

From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:17:08 +0000

The error message is literally:

 > Can't find the cat manpage

This is the title of this bug report, BTW ;-)

The right error message would be:

 > Emacs cannot display the cat manpage, either because it cannot be 
found or because it cannot be rendered.  Try using the command ... to 
diagnose the problem!

Troubleshooting instructions could be included in the mode documentation 
instead.

On 19.01.2024 12:06, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:05:03 +0000
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
>>
>> In that case, the error message emitted by Emacs is wrong.  Emacs
>> assumes that the man process failed for a particular reason, which is
>> not the case.
> What is the error message, and why do you think it's wrong?
>
> What would be the right error message in this case?