Subject: bug#68582: 29.1; Emacs does not handle mailto requests

From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:06:34 +0000

Emacs does not tell the system the truth when it claims it can handle 
mailto requests.  It cannot.

When Emacs detects that it has been invoked to handle a mailto request 
and it is configured to outsource the job, which is the default nowadays 
and rightfully so, it should refuse and instruct the user to configure 
their default mailto handler otherwise or to configure Emacs to use the 
internal handler, which is bound to fail except under very special 
circumstances because direct e-mail messages will probably bounce.

On 19.01.2024 11:57, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:36:02 +0000
>> From: Christopher Yeleighton <[email-masked]>
>>
>> M-x mail [email-masked] C-n test C-c C-c
>>
>> Emacs is configured (by default) to tell the browser to send mail.  So the browser has to figure out what it can use to send mail.  So it looks around and examines applications that are ready to send mail.  It happens the only such application is Emacs, so it launches another instance of Emacs.  Da capo al fine.
> So it sounds like what happens is according to how you configured your
> system.  Why do you consider this an Emacs bug?