Subject: bug#68559: [PATCH] Improve Python shell completion

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:18:30 +0100

Eli Zaretskii [2024-02-15 18:48 +0200] wrote:

>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:37:13 +0200
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> 
>> > It seems to have something to do with completion. Maybe the new code is
>> sensitive to details of Python's command line editor? The standard Python
>> interpreter is unlikely to use GNU readline, for example.
>> 
>> The python-*-completion-at-point-* tests never worked for me, and I
>> always assumed it was something specific to MS-Windows.  But maybe
>> not.  There was no change in the tests that fail for me before and
>> after the recent changes related to Python.
>
> And, btw, on this Gnu/Linux system:
>
>   $ uname -a
>   Linux (REDACTED) 5.15.0-94-generic #104+11.0trisquel25 SMP Sat Feb 10 06:24:53 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> all the Python tests that failed for you still pass, with the current
> master.  So I wonder what is it that causes those failures on your
> system.

BTW, I have been seeing an IPython test failure on GNU/Linux:

Any pointers?

Thanks,
-- 
Basil

$ ipython --version
8.21.0
$ python --version
Python 3.12.2

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2024-02-19 built on tia
Repository revision: 8f260bb93f534b24d9a93d3315804ffe0c1fec4f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' -C --prefix=/home/blc/.local
 --enable-checking=structs --without-native-compilation
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 39117 8464) (symbols 48 5217 0) (strings 32 13299 1612)
 (string-bytes 1 311978) (vectors 16 9245)
 (vector-slots 8 110970 8413) (floats 8 23 25) (intervals 56 266 0)
 (buffers 984 10))