Subject: Re: bug#68557: 30.0.50; "--enable-checking=yes,glyphs" leads to "alloc.c:3446: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: h->index_size > 1"

From: "J.P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 06:49:51 -0800

Hi Gregor, others,

Gregor Zattler via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear Emacs developers, building the Emacs master branch
> as of commit 5f5faad249747ce5bd4b7f2968f737206c136265
> on an up-to-date debian bookworm system fails if
> configured with --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
>
[...]
>
> alloc.c:3446: Emacs fatal error: assertion failed: h->index_size > 1
> make[3]: *** [Makefile:325: emacs-lisp/comp.elc] Aborted
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/my-next-emacs/lisp'
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:1017: bootstrap-emacs.pdmp] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/my-next-emacs/src'
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:554: src] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/my-next-emacs'
> make[1]: Entering directory '/home/grfz/src/my-next-emacs'
> ***
> *** "make all" failed with exit status 2.
> ***
> *** You could try to:
> *** - run "make bootstrap", which might fix the problem
> *** - run "make V=1", which displays the full commands invoked by make,
> ***   to further investigate the problem
> ***
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:418: advice-on-failure] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/grfz/src/my-next-emacs'
> make: *** [Makefile:374: all] Error 2

I ran into what looks like the same error when building but could not
reliably reproduce it. However, I *am* able to reproduce something
possibly related. Because I'm not sure, I replied to your original post
rather than down thread (so as not to cause an unnecessary ruckus).

Unfortunately, to run the test shown in the attached log you need a file
that's not in the Emacs tree. It can be generated with

1. $ mkdir test/lisp/erc/resources/fill/snapshots/.graphic

2. $ ERC_TESTS_SNAPSHOT_SAVE=erc-fill-wrap--merge-action \
     make -C test \
     TEST_INTERACTIVE=yes \
     SELECTOR=erc-fill-wrap--merge-action \
     lisp/erc/erc-fill-tests.log &&
     rm test/lisp/erc/erc-fill-tests.log &&
     stat test/lisp/erc/resources/fill/snapshots/.graphic/merge-wrap-01.eld

The current directory in the logged session is ./test, and the invoking
command appears on the first line of the log.

Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.38, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2024-01-17 built on localhost
Repository revision: 5f5faad249747ce5bd4b7f2968f737206c136265
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12014000
System Description: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-check-lisp-object-type --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --with-native-compilation=no 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3'
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 38036 9374) (symbols 48 5225 0) (strings 32 13190 2465)
 (string-bytes 1 378506) (vectors 16 9280)
 (vector-slots 8 111692 10246) (floats 8 21 16) (intervals 56 238 5)
 (buffers 976 10))