Subject: Re: [PATCH gnome-team 24/25] gnu: gnome-shell-extension-vertical-overview: Update style.

From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:38:31 +0100

Le jeudi 18 janvier 2024 à 06:24 +0100, Liliana Marie Prikler a écrit :
> Am Mittwoch, dem 17.01.2024 um 23:48 +0100 schrieb Vivien Kraus:
> > * gnu/packages/gnome-xyz.scm (gnome-shell-extension-vertical-
> > overview)
> > [arguments]: Convert to list of G-Expressions.
> > 
> > Change-Id: I830854d7c2ce262906331e5aef59f6dd7af28c98
> Given that it's removed in the next commit, this is just noise. 
> Probably same for the other removed extensions.

I figured that it would be easier to revert and update if and when the
extension  is ported to a newer GNOME Shell. I agree though, if someone
wants to add the extension again, they probably won’t read the git log,
so it’s not very helpful.

> Do we have alternatives for these or is it just "extension no work"?
I don’t know much.

>From what I understand, hide-app-icon is not replaced, but now the
application icons in the shell are symbolic and tiny, so maybe it’s not
needed anymore.

On the repository, people are talking about forking jiggle, but I don’t
know of any alternative.

NoAnnoyance has a fork that claims support for 44, maybe we should
package that, what do you think?
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/6109/noannoyance-fork/

Sound output device chooser is obsolete because now with the shell you
can directly choose the audio device.

The panel already shows system tray icons, so Topicons Redux is not
needed anymore.

There is a candidate replacement for Transparent Window,
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1454/transparent-window/ but it
does not support GNOME 44 either.

Maybe V-Shell
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/5177/vertical-workspaces/ can
replace Vertical overview?

I’m not a fan of removing packages like that, because guix upgrade will
quickly complain about profile collisions. But I would like to hear the
users about these candidate replacements for NoAnnoyance v2
(NoAnnoyance Fork) and Vertical overview (V-Shell) first, and the users
on the extensions forum do not seem to talk about these replacements.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Vivien