Subject: Re: [bug#68524] [PATCH v2 2/2] gnu: bootloaders: Add uefi-uki-bootloader.

From: Lilah Tascheter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 20:11:18 -0600

heyo!

thanks for the review :) I'll submit a revised patch, but had a question before
I get to work on it.

> I tried to adjust uki.scm before commenting, so here's a paste of my
> adjusted version, in case some of my comments are not expressed clearly:
> https://paste.sr.ht/~hako/62bb15503290273e869520e12466718ebb82e000

nighttime sky I didn't realize reinstall-bootloader existed. shit.

at this point, I don't think the install-uki.scm hack is a good idea. to get
this fully functioning, will probably have to do some more invasive edits to the
bootloader system, since the current one pretty much assumes an
extlinux/grubalike (which is what necessitated install-uki in the first place).
RFC on the following plan:

* add secure-boot-cert and secure-boot-key fields to bootloader-configuration.

* deprecate configuration-file and configuration-file-generator in the
  bootloader struct, and instead create an install-configuration-file field,
  similar to install-bootloader. default procedure will be to do the current
  install-boot-cfg (gnu build install) using the deprecated fields.

* rework uki.scm to, instead, run efibootmgr in install-configuration-file and
  install the uki.efi files in install-bootloader. remove the separation between
  uefi-uki-signed-bootloader and uefi-uki-bootloader, instead working off the
  new bootloader-configuration fields.

this plan should work with reinstall-bootloader, even though it uses the default
bootloader-configuration, since files are only signed during installation
proper.

opinions?

thanks,
lilah