Subject: 30.0.50; minibuffer-choose-completion + elisp-c-a-p delete next sexp when completing after open paren

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:06:20 -0500

In an Elisp buffer, if you trigger completion after an open paren then
use minibuffer-choose-completion to choose a completion,
minibuffer-choose-completion will delete the next sexp before inserting
the completion.

Step by step:
1. emacs -Q
2. In an Elisp buffer, type in:
(

(progn (some) (big) (expression))
3. Move point to the end of the initial "(" and hit M-TAB
4. Use M-down and M-RET to select some completion e.g. "current-buffer".
5. When the completion is inserted, "(progn (some) (big) (expression))"
is deleted, so the buffer contains just e.g. "(current-buffer"

If at step 2, the user types any characters after the "(", the progn
won't be deleted; for example, typing instead:
(a

(progn (some) (big) (expression))
and doing completion and using M-RET to pick a completion doesn't delete
the progn sexp.

This is because elisp-completion-at-point returns a completion region
covering the entire sexp after the start of the region.  That sexp is
"(progn (some) (big) (expression))" in the first case and "a" in the
second case.

I'm not sure how to fix this.  I don't know all the features of
elisp-completion-at-point, but maybe it shouldn't use (forward-sexp 1)
when finding the end of the completion region.  Maybe it should be doing
something like (skip-syntax-forward "w_") to determine the end of the
region?

BTW, this completion region returned by elisp-completion-at-point also
causes a bug in company-mode: since company-capf stops completion when
the end of the completion region is after point, it's not possible to do
Elisp company completion immediately after an open paren no matter how
company is configured.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 20, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2023-12-27 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: b9c0ce0a400f18e1bba4e3491c94994d73ef9405
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.9 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure -C 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' --with-gif=ifavailable
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 243422 25806) (symbols 48 9546 0) (strings 32 31424 2459)
 (string-bytes 1 846405) (vectors 16 10420)
 (vector-slots 8 158724 18572) (floats 8 43 21) (intervals 56 49602 0)
 (buffers 984 12))