Subject: Re: [bug#68498] [PATCH] guix-install.sh: Make Guix modules available too.

From: Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 21:03:18 +0200

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen writes:

Hello,

>> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
> [..]
>>> I don't quite like the status quo where Guix System is different from
>>> Guix on a foreign distribution for dubious reasons.  Either we expose
>>> the Guix modules as part of the guix-install.sh or perhaps we can avoid
>>> exposing them on Guix System, for consistency.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Sorry for the delay.  It’s probably not that big a deal so if you think
>> this improves user experience, go for it; I don’t want to block this
>> change.  Worst that can happen is we change our mind and revert it,
>> that’s OK.
>
> "Great".  I was very much in favor of this change initially: Have a
> consistent Guix UX whether it be in Guix System or on a foreign distro.

[..]

Nice as it is that on Guix System you have Guix' modules available to
Guile by default, I stumbled onto another (obvious?) UX issue.

After doing `guix pull' (and no guix system reconfigure), you have a new
guix!  With new modules.  You can play with them in `guix repl'.  Only,
when you start the guile, these new modules are not available; guile can
only see the (stale) system's guix modules.  I'm not even sure how to
make them available to guile, other than `guix system reconfigure'.

"guix shell guile" doesn't make guix's modules available, of course, and
"guix shell guix guile will get you the previous guix, not the new
version made available by pull.  The only thing I could think of, is to
provide a `guile' binary in ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guile.  Hmm.

Hopefully there's an easier solution but if we cannot (or don't want to)
change/fix this, I'd possibly even rather not have guix modules
available to guile by default.  WDYT?

Greetings,
Janneke

-- 
Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]>  | GNU LilyPond https://LilyPond.org
Freelance IT https://www.JoyOfSource.com | Avatar® https://AvatarAcademy.com