Subject: [bug#68498] [PATCH] guix-install.sh: Make Guix modules available too.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 17:05:44 +0100

Janneke Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Packages that extend Guix functionality, like Cuirass and hpcguix-web,
>> have ‘guix’ in their inputs.  That’s fine: they use just the core (guix …)
>> modules to interact with the store etc.
>>
>> Is that what the kind of use case you had in mind?
>
> Yes.  I always believed this was a big no-no, but adding guix to the
> packages' inputs in guix.scm would also work.

Yes, and it’s even unavoidable for software that depends on (guix …)
modules.

> I'm still somewhat puzzled about why setting GUILE_LOAD[_COMPILED]_PATH
> would be a bad idea, but unless someone else decides to chimes some time
> soon in I guess we can close this bug.

It’s not too bad, but (1) it could break the user’s setup (for instance
if they’ve installed some incompatible Guile versions via the host
distro and all of a sudden Guile 3.0.9 modules show up in the search
path), and (2) one could just as well consider special-casing ‘CPATH’ or
‘GUIX_PYTHONPATH’.

So I think we can close, but again, if I misunderstood how the status
quo is a hindrance, I’m open to this change or any other solution.

Ludo’.