Subject: Re: bug#68487: [PATCH] Make jump commands usable for all skeletons

From: Martin Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 17:11:59 -0500

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There's one problem though.  The autoloaded keybindings for
>> `expand-jump-to-next-slot' and `expand-jump-to-previous-slot' won't work
>> the first time they're called on an expanded skeleton, unless the user
>> has previously loaded expand.el.
>
> Hmm... this suggests we should try and "merge" `expand-list/pos` and
> `skeleton-positions`?

My thinking was just to initialize `expand-list/pos/index` in skeleton.el, so
that a skeleton-command could populate `expand-pos` with locations from
`skeleton-positions` even before expand.el has loaded.

I think `skeleton-positions` was intended as a building block for users
(or package authors) to create jumping capability of their own.  For
example, an emacswiki article[1] proposes one way of doing this.  I'd
want to avoid renaming `skeleton-positions` or changing the value it
receives, since that would probably break such configurations.

[1] https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SkeletonMode#h5o-15

-- 
Best regards,
Martin Marshall