Subject: Re: [bug#68468] [PATCH] gnu: services: Add respawn-limit and respawn-delay.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 23:15:23 +0100

Hi,

Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/services/shepherd.scm (<shepherd-service>): Add respawn-limit and
> respawn-delay.
>
> Change-Id: I54408e8fb4bcc0956d9610771bf5c566fdc2914c

Neat!  Please also mention the changes in ‘shepherd-service-file’.

> +  (respawn-limit shepherd-service-respawn-limit
> +                 (default #f))
> +  (respawn-delay shepherd-service-respawn-delay
> +                 (default #f))

Could you document them in ‘doc/guix.texi’?

> +                       #$@(if (shepherd-service-respawn-limit service)
> +                              `(#:respawn-limit
> +                                ,(shepherd-service-respawn-limit service))
> +                              '())
> +                       #$@(if (shepherd-service-respawn-delay service)
> +                              `(#:respawn-delay
> +                                ,(shepherd-service-respawn-delay service))
> +                              '())

In theory, we could end up loading code that uses #:respawn-limit in a
running shepherd that does not support it (too old).  To properly
address that, we’d need to check what shepherd version we’re talking to.

But… I think we can ignore this issue, as long as we don’t use it in
gnu/services/*.scm until some time has passed.

Thanks!

Ludo’.