Subject: [PATCH] doc: Improve VNC Services section.

From: Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:31:30 +0100

* doc/guix.texi (VNC Services): Don't change the value of
`display-number`. Refine and improve the `xclock` and `vncviewer` invocation
examples.

Change-Id: Iea96f75d344636977416a052c7ffc4310536be27
---
 doc/guix.texi | 28 +++++++++++++++++++++-------
 1 file changed, 21 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 811edd0bf7..154a7a7465 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -33099,18 +33099,31 @@ VNC Services
 
 @lisp
 (service xvnc-service-type
-         (xvnc-configuration (display-number 10)))
+         (xvnc-configuration (display-number 5)))
 @end lisp
 
 As a demonstration, the @command{xclock} command could then be started
 on the remote machine on display number 10, and it could be displayed
-locally via the @command{vncviewer} command:
+locally using the SSH tunneling mechanism, via the @command{vncviewer}
+command:
 @example
-# Start xclock on the remote machine.
-ssh -L5910:localhost:5910 @var{your-host} -- guix shell xclock \
-    -- env DISPLAY=:10 xclock
-# Access it via VNC.
-guix shell tigervnc-client -- vncviewer localhost:5910
+## Start xclock on the remote machine.
+default_vnc_port=5900
+display_port=@var{display-number}
+
+# SSH (t)unnel (i)nterface on the (r)emote machine.
+tri=localhost
+# SSH (t)unnel (r)emote (p)ort.
+trp=$[$default_vnc_port + $display_port]
+# SSH (t)unnel (l)ocal (p)ort.
+tlp=$[$trp + 1]
+
+ssh -L$tlp:$tri:$trp @var{your-host} -- \
+       guix shell xclock -- \
+       env DISPLAY=:$display_port xclock
+
+## Access xclock via VNC.
+guix shell tigervnc-client -- vncviewer localhost:$tlp
 @end example
 
 The following configuration combines XDMCP and Inetd to allow multiple
@@ -33138,6 +33151,7 @@ VNC Services
 command or a compatible VNC client and start a desktop session of their
 choosing:
 @example
+# 5905 = default VNC port + @var{display-number} specified above
 vncviewer remote-host:5905
 @end example

base-commit: 6e76509d2437178b260efceb9c19ca3ed2570fcd
prerequisite-patch-id: 33305a1da4a4c87fd8e004995d4f02862dbb31cc
prerequisite-patch-id: 9214d7bbb6f837dedd04c11c7d5de16a71162aec
prerequisite-patch-id: 040bd9873791beb783ec715e2fcf9a67c916541f
prerequisite-patch-id: 83be00ef8936b06f8c5e96ee5d7241f52abfaed5
prerequisite-patch-id: dcd61ef0d17dbb78bc57ba1e1a583df740b6227f
prerequisite-patch-id: ceeb4b689aa831812a67ed208dce842a1955a7e7
prerequisite-patch-id: 55c1ed8e431fbc83a8bbfa9199f0e1658f41e12d
prerequisite-patch-id: f7d79a779eb62c2b6460bfea8ea311c2c3988c82
prerequisite-patch-id: fa7b2c602ee3e94550d06101b553903e0f3188ea
prerequisite-patch-id: b91c28b5575c91584951382d44e30a863047d7ae
prerequisite-patch-id: d24f1338053024a9bba329350a1e02242eb36f3d
prerequisite-patch-id: 16779c9614cdff949745f930297d626ccff50720
prerequisite-patch-id: 9dd17852ad6dc0906d316f0c8c3f93e822da1b9e
prerequisite-patch-id: 9367608c77ea35d65f79fe116eebf0fd2ae57700
prerequisite-patch-id: 46e9cf69868d98963b7af12579e21f696f0f36fc
prerequisite-patch-id: e92a67240a3c4bc1d5fe7eb50d27beda1f6b688d
prerequisite-patch-id: 276f58c3f98e8463b806d40d34fd01b3ed791d77
prerequisite-patch-id: e77d37b6bf8cb0bddce18ec576a839676ca02302
prerequisite-patch-id: ea0beef6df976a046ef2fa5d635587e6cb25b3f1
prerequisite-patch-id: 453468c22f6c5922d1dca838b0a8316c20b7a256
prerequisite-patch-id: 11e91fd2dfb7e6f5a321209e85c63aa2ebcbca14
prerequisite-patch-id: 5108e65117b2e04fab534df3bbdcdb5a32ef053b
prerequisite-patch-id: 980453aae357db92da30ba93e75e6231b6f3715d
prerequisite-patch-id: 4c1fd033e66449bc0374f9f5470d2e0f657ced09
prerequisite-patch-id: b5e800c4077f704fabc99d7996a18f0421709580
prerequisite-patch-id: 99d8b330d5e238298e680e862c65d7d3ed126c3a
prerequisite-patch-id: 8bb1f6ca424cea7b4a0a7680abdaec40470e7a6b
prerequisite-patch-id: 8805cb804b52a70a878ca9801b3062e83cf2a665
prerequisite-patch-id: 2556f35d21023d5a013ae91fb3e337022f76b157
prerequisite-patch-id: 952bb1d6726d8c1e4f6f0611268870ed91024167
prerequisite-patch-id: 4e628471bcd847622b1ff0c922e0cbda5cd03501
prerequisite-patch-id: 7755a587d8bf533ba6b19f3f30d81afc67ebf26f
prerequisite-patch-id: 0f49225a51051406a04deb28f54a00a9fed60f11
prerequisite-patch-id: db688796f39a442ca5fda9d548ec7eaeda5b3dfc
prerequisite-patch-id: 9388af620a9aa620692626177932856668daacb9
prerequisite-patch-id: c2512feb004b9a8f2bfe8b4faa9701bce991054c
prerequisite-patch-id: e7466cb436999e7a428dbf77c7c112d26fd15b0b
prerequisite-patch-id: e41ba419e30467e6709ae712ce328900f04751a6
prerequisite-patch-id: 7c3c484ce9ba0ceb11ccaf350daf79efea8ca422
prerequisite-patch-id: 2127ebaf0cf389ae03b5f5baff66b56190d5d4cb
prerequisite-patch-id: 4c53baa6ff989d56eb66134b5ddaee35cfb28946
prerequisite-patch-id: 31848c2d9574c8d28c6399d9f8bcf9f0f6469939
prerequisite-patch-id: de3430fff98f44c08fc04993b97bfe91968a3c79
prerequisite-patch-id: d07228993e3484e01eac110ef0cb8543e154348b
prerequisite-patch-id: 21812ab80c058510470df9ef9d342c5ebdb0a31d
prerequisite-patch-id: ce540d1a8a5096c7a43154b4a6fd2f05b528b384
prerequisite-patch-id: fcecf76990a30870c492243de865f0a86e0a22a4
prerequisite-patch-id: e926a136f72bbeef8702e0bbf7b958e70d6041fe
prerequisite-patch-id: b350ab6d8f03fdd6858d37b70a14be8d03317f15
prerequisite-patch-id: d09d8a3dd3b46d0ead4c68866b3a51aa65f3b735
prerequisite-patch-id: 826f2166428aa0a19f20eb15cb502707554d0cbb
prerequisite-patch-id: b9d1524eafd649276293e7b372188e64d9ab30b5
prerequisite-patch-id: cf3366ce6016b355c1a67794d2a06481f9e8d495
prerequisite-patch-id: 9f521bce2f91d4529ad3cb2666ce5ca417ce5a94
prerequisite-patch-id: 49596cef96f0dc6ff3bba39efda9e5c94cc0f789
prerequisite-patch-id: 31b4e9bf1d8f2820ac75e1c4b0a992dda7ef59ea
prerequisite-patch-id: 895485adba6324986d7b68c74fe3a4d6ba3f56bd
prerequisite-patch-id: eb86753de9c1eecc9be9509db72f06150a0d0f2c
prerequisite-patch-id: 1fb58a60f1780cbca22e1b8479adc8510a9ef26c
prerequisite-patch-id: ce3114e79deafd5272ace4099a1c53ed7ec518ef
prerequisite-patch-id: 531a2a2f9e151ec4f87d0577724c7cb9234c8057
prerequisite-patch-id: 619d05d37b1fd847129c7d022a6a2188d1b0797a
prerequisite-patch-id: 6051c568b4af299b9597ac1abe24f8a84010d2af
prerequisite-patch-id: 5be14d0ac5e4afe84cde938c682db8a41468c84f
prerequisite-patch-id: 16576bde8aa9f654529373227ad181ba5fb1eee8
prerequisite-patch-id: 3dc9b0f53f8ec4edaefa59b4c2b285794ab29281
prerequisite-patch-id: a436e332c6535c42f392b8a4377c3416ac33fb9b
prerequisite-patch-id: a2551dd481dba46d6195c87568903684aa8751a4
prerequisite-patch-id: 8d08138c0f6cd1ae30716927fa57fcdbca45eaae
prerequisite-patch-id: de420864a534b79b32f3edca7d1a052ca3f2a082
prerequisite-patch-id: 644fe966230c001481d17f202a6980b405982821
prerequisite-patch-id: cb638ff075fb210e9761a33f49656c3d3f473417
prerequisite-patch-id: 197edd4d2c93e7240e5e191a377cd2ecaf61422c
prerequisite-patch-id: 2ba16f3be300940c818c60ddcffb38b7d41f22b6
prerequisite-patch-id: aca424124aeed0d4d4714ef46067c6bd561c4c87
prerequisite-patch-id: 03388c1118220d7221029bcf89a1699e34d53172
prerequisite-patch-id: 84cbbec1ec4eccae6ad4f837c9aa10667e2ee5b8
prerequisite-patch-id: cf453ac91ab08b6cb0f89a65a9229ec261117b97
prerequisite-patch-id: 2d5981e595e30eba27099f81825897f8373b4e1a
prerequisite-patch-id: 261e4f1dcfa7fa0cb30c450c720c08adbdf9d63b
prerequisite-patch-id: 5b2e3c4495b3eac0bc9e11b43d7a9de464d964fe
prerequisite-patch-id: 3d7ee96a664d272730a6b0aaec8433721106b9c4
prerequisite-patch-id: 86943917f793660edbb584cf25f4b35012e81ef8
prerequisite-patch-id: e9d7788449eaa359c2cd1ac23f87138f055d7a0e
prerequisite-patch-id: f10ce44ca4dcd08474422acad463a17dd64c93eb
prerequisite-patch-id: d21fedc732af1bf29f76e4dfa61766383ea80229
prerequisite-patch-id: e820ba8758b4711776724dd8e58440e6bb5abc7d
prerequisite-patch-id: 586902159a8dd0b00c08a6eb212fd46f6380d57e
prerequisite-patch-id: 75db681e18728fe5441acf3b9329fc087da24c3a
prerequisite-patch-id: 14e9188b0e86ae891171f7921b0b85749a48cfa2
prerequisite-patch-id: 3fcb9923407c43780de1cff3ada1991c40d044a2
prerequisite-patch-id: 073aed61cc4542f1e6804cd90efb29e47d82c145
prerequisite-patch-id: 1975852a05554b4694a82da0bb41956f792856f5
prerequisite-patch-id: 5e3b1fe8e9c2caafeaa71f1fa31b6a8adf388640
prerequisite-patch-id: 1bb01ee40e48e556d6d98d881add0f07a917d564
prerequisite-patch-id: 7db9f6b9a4b528fe399a5751ca7f7de88fcd7d3e
prerequisite-patch-id: bfee71fc6371999b3ff3d8d7159f8cc2ea84feac
prerequisite-patch-id: a30b7b5c96adcd78d94638f6b9176cceac6b7e35
prerequisite-patch-id: 0a647ce56dcb609b495990b3cdda857bc58f8fff
prerequisite-patch-id: 7541fb7d39cb5c3dde8336a2044092945c9a489f
prerequisite-patch-id: d7bd811d6ae93621377d53b2ce0c0dc07d3af974
prerequisite-patch-id: 70840c71eba2ded258118170a4fb068db6be41a0
prerequisite-patch-id: 786c26f05c48f6164f5483d7b3abb5f5a5c8af1e
prerequisite-patch-id: 6a568df14277633a1c750b30d12482f807420709
prerequisite-patch-id: 0dc50fceb4366089441299ea8d1a2112fe085a4e
prerequisite-patch-id: ecb0ace8f36f43f73a0d7ed371803bf372e44e44
prerequisite-patch-id: 501cbd341d61e685ea925f1b6a9d01157c23f577
prerequisite-patch-id: 72f603f27198839d27e8ddd93e8ff400ad1c7779
prerequisite-patch-id: 1621f9a63e9985317797b8b427a8a04a434924ec
prerequisite-patch-id: a495105042ae77b8f137e69fbbc4c840460fde3d
prerequisite-patch-id: 64fc9f0c56100da0ddaaa47e8523962952c7dc52
prerequisite-patch-id: 2e27194fd1b9ba64e8dfa7c2dce30be2a4b50e01
prerequisite-patch-id: bff5e7881d5e9439f63d165ba7e15a0fea7116d0
prerequisite-patch-id: bbb8bbfc1430cefff11058e1fef6391c7f0ea2ed
prerequisite-patch-id: 0f50cc3729eaac45cb800ffdcc0bc90231a5d383
prerequisite-patch-id: 81e31804f4531394210ea78f07dfa8af76cce9e2
prerequisite-patch-id: c838699b2dda2028f99cccd90514865ac89d4ef9
prerequisite-patch-id: 471d438b4266fb00936b3e01bc4a7c1134ab803b
prerequisite-patch-id: 8eecc73a106d5a37ad42470f2570a96ea4d15f21
prerequisite-patch-id: c3804217d970f09ca0de63bef2099e50be9152d9
prerequisite-patch-id: 381324ee857300fea9fc77a522465a6ff7b7b510
prerequisite-patch-id: f1e8119020dc675d50f5b2fbf7c2d59d89ef8887
prerequisite-patch-id: 1e0e6d520eb9919b5f9077c52821ff0a7ef16387
prerequisite-patch-id: f2f89614ffc9b6a1dac1108117890b4a89790e6c
prerequisite-patch-id: 1aba0547fd7db161fcbf3dfb814decbcb1578af0
prerequisite-patch-id: ee455a55e8607eb6c8350e0e13f8f786eca13bac
prerequisite-patch-id: b882a50b88bcc98253cbda01381c5614dcb883e2
prerequisite-patch-id: e754cb7885f9090a3364bd893cb2ab71edd1c175
prerequisite-patch-id: 5fde5c954582ace4046ba48e32bb65002741b4b4
prerequisite-patch-id: ac85337d2b9ab65f386a98e0bb3616299ef229ed
prerequisite-patch-id: 771cb11a66ec358e015c892aca7e61d686dfe1e2
prerequisite-patch-id: 723259fb9819a7a9f278313ce68df7ae2278d2d6
prerequisite-patch-id: e1958efcd13f24d3416621f52a3fedc15a66b59c
prerequisite-patch-id: 69a1d0883edcd8187f535b4ea68a69caec607762
prerequisite-patch-id: a58382e94b2412366f953dba3760108423d74e92
prerequisite-patch-id: c6754d7d863c8bbb2a711fa274f6ae9fa5e7cec5
prerequisite-patch-id: accbbd02216641adeb3b0882b994cff1948658d2
prerequisite-patch-id: e5ed823f431f4397431c9040bd19c01dd9c5e41b
prerequisite-patch-id: 4af620eed9f27ee0661cee1094babf9eb42bb8c2
prerequisite-patch-id: 0def17d3eb457ca282c44a1a4cf87c5faa857671
prerequisite-patch-id: 38ad500ad5373ff4e296c09fcadba54d1e64ccba
prerequisite-patch-id: 69278e5bf9a07619b20e981662a1fabc5559038c
prerequisite-patch-id: 49b2aac6c4f264e23048fbbf66b9c08c3dd382d3
prerequisite-patch-id: e54959d1ac4766cf0d4b9797899c3bb7b17e236f
prerequisite-patch-id: 5602152604a7f46ef19382edb85edcadd48b9b54
prerequisite-patch-id: fa7ba61bb9c3b695a0e96fa145cbed0ac0af4268
prerequisite-patch-id: 4ae194d7f6f433072b2a4b1953c552aa515a206a
prerequisite-patch-id: a798c309f88d9c3b88af34237928c7a4fc97d989
prerequisite-patch-id: 87c3a9ade274467f55e09a42150856f2bfe5cced
prerequisite-patch-id: adb3d751f5b86e241b8cf84511fc2ea606c1ae39
prerequisite-patch-id: 87d90282a291bd40a95b71e199f145342af05597
prerequisite-patch-id: c71614dd106c9d1ef6f5f06f0a4130d1892bc225
prerequisite-patch-id: 6c3e29d33574e7702833640fb2c864a0fd0213ab
prerequisite-patch-id: 71313dce1665d81b26bfcbf317016195187d6cc6
prerequisite-patch-id: f986ebbefc2e7f0cd9cce540428931de496b66ef
prerequisite-patch-id: 9e3a99a066d6026c54e900139e5261ac183a994d
prerequisite-patch-id: 0aa6e109ea51c4db0d2540be67eabf4d72c23106
prerequisite-patch-id: 701fe2ff5a0a161659874d4bfcf0069c5057ad1b
prerequisite-patch-id: b9430c002d1989714782036814e7d7bf3c85d3ee
prerequisite-patch-id: 440c6c1c3cbcbdde826d808521daa502efdee1f5
prerequisite-patch-id: 5333f03d5a623d84fa582e37ee9a00b16334b981
prerequisite-patch-id: a0fe5e7aa497c7ba8c771e43bac60b1732379331
prerequisite-patch-id: 5c6e2d3884250afbb5b8748f301a49b69c488aa8
prerequisite-patch-id: 7faaf68b20a7c76f0d3fd42951a8427306b2b913
prerequisite-patch-id: 06346ed81a05cf852b14cc55f88a95e6e7a4cb5b
prerequisite-patch-id: fd17aefc82bfbe8d4e0f8244085700e086f78e1a
prerequisite-patch-id: 74a02f887881929481bb549bdd9bf4326b4c4684
prerequisite-patch-id: 555d0f916c35d1a9a4ad8dc85d013667a9091249
prerequisite-patch-id: 038b1ea898cb335bf5beeb90d8121c5e5b45d465
prerequisite-patch-id: 0e911cc1c6816e84aff983377fcc62dc7d09e7e5
prerequisite-patch-id: aee4d3482d7290d9a78f259edebcec2400f3f9da
prerequisite-patch-id: 214b30050d7265676185d18654733160f7d88f69
prerequisite-patch-id: f1ed83a61e217f809f482ddb26d56cd9d14b221b
prerequisite-patch-id: eeaabb2d06c15466e1829fcd87e515ac93289105
prerequisite-patch-id: aab7da68f0a512ca21750665f44851c31eef39e0
prerequisite-patch-id: 71d335df605baf331d72c57c6d34ed3cf86ac090
prerequisite-patch-id: 03c36606e31d748f8dffb09e81ee5ee211354e86
prerequisite-patch-id: 9c695556cc27a470fe05c2164f4ea8e7e8134634
prerequisite-patch-id: 166e52677de5082f716e2f3bd9da56160fa16ff0
prerequisite-patch-id: 680672b6d468071d831fb4bde6cb03bbcc7c13c2
prerequisite-patch-id: 915f3a9a4b37e1662e46feb88a4d9eb988e78cea
prerequisite-patch-id: ee46a888cf50c53ee4b824a9a0791b4ac45dd205
prerequisite-patch-id: 5404c2018d62c20709a6bff094e903b42e7c8851
prerequisite-patch-id: 2b1b3694b24c2354f0c210a37412f686308f3043
prerequisite-patch-id: 3a2d483ab183ac44396ae98eb9f8a380106aa256
prerequisite-patch-id: 9bc086fba3eb5076270c8d34af64ea8a4fd21289
prerequisite-patch-id: a5ccebca21d07a15521fb00a9982df9a55366860
prerequisite-patch-id: b0a376c45233770012ede9a36805d197c58724f5
prerequisite-patch-id: 19b5c648a83ac811001917dad7c80ba4cb75f97f
prerequisite-patch-id: 2afa4bf415a5e6cac4d0634749faa2c50ab41091
prerequisite-patch-id: 866ec0bd5b56c4a439a64f942576713d1ba2794f
prerequisite-patch-id: cc624828e0642284df43d2e1979fd3d983638c0a
prerequisite-patch-id: 70b7ae859c53b38f4276a84df198f90685918357
prerequisite-patch-id: 3d365ace3dfb20a7b956b439bb53dff23fafa18c
prerequisite-patch-id: 1ab8f4eb3067042c5356b2ce2a0b1d3ea769b499
prerequisite-patch-id: 2527dff6f686d2b493eb9cd94532d4778119604f
prerequisite-patch-id: 538562ddba831c78fa82e5e14ce56cb4f9634c41
prerequisite-patch-id: 35cad8469a1f19354d356a28ed2005e3c5e3cccb
prerequisite-patch-id: 0d77267c55535d5c8c3ff105fb32c87bb3ebb819
prerequisite-patch-id: 1fddc8003ffccc5f897b0ebad79efd7208c7739c
prerequisite-patch-id: 0acd3fa8d94df58fb86b9619d7e02e166539dc14
prerequisite-patch-id: 3fc486d720cd74a26761b09ff37dd78e74d46499
prerequisite-patch-id: 161e352602f8a37683b75beb1c5b1e5ac9578ffb
prerequisite-patch-id: b7ed34542ef18a07f2d5601b5ea629e177412bd3
prerequisite-patch-id: 525266bcddebebc867028aae03d5c2382921ffda
prerequisite-patch-id: 5e36e77f4fa1848dbd20c2e5d5cec31d2473c2a8
-- 
2.41.0