Subject: bug#68452: closed (Re: bug#68452: w32-use-native-image-API makes weird behavior)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68452: w32-use-native-image-API makes weird behavior

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68452: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68452
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68452: w32-use-native-image-API makes weird behavior
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Jinsong Zhao <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:46:54 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:09:52 +0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Jinsong Zhao <[email-masked]>
> 
> I was able to confirm that my question is not related to 
> w32-use-native-image-API. The reason is that the image is not valid. In 
> fact, it's empty because Ghostscript on Windows doesn't flush the image 
> to the file. So this bug should be closed. Thanks for your help.

Thanks, closing.

Subject: w32-use-native-image-API makes weird behavior
From: Jinsong Zhao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 21:52:00 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

I am not a skilled Emacs user. I mainly use Emacs as a front end for 
Maxima with the help of imaxima. imaxima converts Maxima output into PNG 
image, which are then displayed in Emacs. I am using Windows 10.

It works fine on Emacs 28.2, when I type an expression, e.g. q^2 = 1; 
and return, Emacs 28.2 immediately displays the resulting PNG image.

If I use Emacs 29.1, however, all I get after returning is an empty 
square. And if I type another expression and return, a blank square 
appears. At the same time, the first empty square was replaced by a PNG 
image of the first expression. That's weird.

I saw the following messages in the *Messages* buffer:

Processing Maxima output...done
Unable to load image (image :type png :file 
c:/Users/Jinso/AppData/Local/Temp/imaximatU5Y9B/1 :scale 
1.001595744680851 :ascent center :mask (heuristic (color-values 
imaxima-bg-color)) :transform-smoothing t) [35 times]
Process imaxima finished

After (setq w32-use-native-image-API nil), imaxima has the same 
behaviour on Emacs 28.2 and 29.1.

Best,
Jinsong