Subject: bug#68438: closed (Re: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Remove linux-libre 4.14.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 18:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68438: [PATCH 0/2] Removing linux-libre 4.14 (EoL).

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68438: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68438
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Remove linux-libre 4.14.
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 13:30:47 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 03:01:36AM +0100, Wilko Meyer wrote:
> This kernel series is no longer supported upstream.
> 
> * gnu/packages/linux.scm (linux-libre-4.14-version, linux-libre-4.14-gnu-revision,
>   deblob-scripts-4.14, linux-libre-4.14-pristine-source,
>   linux-libre-4.14-source, linux-libre-headers-4.14, linux-libre-arm-generic-4.14,
>   linux-libre-omap2plus-4.14, linux-libre-4.14): Remove variables.
> * gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-arm.conf,
>   gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-i686.conf,
>   gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-x86_64.conf: Delete files.
> * Makefile.am (AUX_FILES): Remove aforementioned .conf files.

Thanks! The patches no longer applied so I "recreated" them by copy and
paste.

Then, I grepped 'linux-libre-4.14' and noticed that there was a Guix
test using this package, so I removed that test in the amended commit.

Finally, I adjusted the commit hash in the news entry, tested with `make
check-channel-news`. News entries are a common source of errors that
crash `guix pull`, because the commit hash changes when signing commits
or when doing `git pull --rebase`. Always check the news before pushing!

Pushed as 497780ad25faf71d3ace39efe7451ef01e353d5b 

That's about 27000 lines of kernel configuration removed from the
codebase.

------
$ git diff --stat 10a193596368443f441077525ebbddf787d91e4b^ 10a193596368443f441077525ebbddf787d91e4b
 Makefile.am                                         |    3 -
 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-arm.conf    | 8369 -----------------------------
 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-i686.conf   | 9537 ----------------------------------
 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-x86_64.conf | 9413 ---------------------------------
 gnu/packages/linux.scm                              |   48 -
 gnu/tests/base.scm                                  |    4 -
 6 files changed, 27374 deletions(-)
------

Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Removing linux-libre 4.14 (EoL).
From: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Wilko Meyer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 02:59:50 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Leo,

I finally found some time to prepare the patch series that removes all
4.14 linux-libre packages due to 4.14 being EoL. I also created an entry
in news.scm announcing the deprecation. WDYT?

Wilko Meyer (2):
  gnu: Remove linux-libre 4.14.
  news: Add entry for removing linux-libre 4.14 (EoL).

 Makefile.am                                   |    3 -
 etc/news.scm                                  |   13 +
 .../aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-arm.conf       | 8369 ---------------
 .../aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-i686.conf      | 9537 -----------------
 .../aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-x86_64.conf    | 9413 ----------------
 gnu/packages/linux.scm                        |   48 -
 6 files changed, 13 insertions(+), 27370 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-arm.conf
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-i686.conf
 delete mode 100644 gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/4.14-x86_64.conf

base-commit: 4e50310e6198e65676fb5361f3a3f40909a3986d
prerequisite-patch-id: 38281f45d60f87b024948afcc0506747cfa8c936
-- 
2.41.0