Subject: bug#68418: refill-mode interferes with org-mode headlines

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:57:25 +0200

> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:33:55 +0000
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > We already agreed that fill-region-as-paragraph cannot use
> > fill-paragraph-function, right?  So what should
> > fill-region-as-paragraph do in order to behave more correctly in Org
> > buffers?  IOW, what are the specific problems in
> > fill-region-as-paragraph that break it in Org buffers?  (I presume
> > that use-hard-newlines is nil in these cases, so fill-paragraph is
> > currently not relevant.)
> 
> `fill-region-as-paragraph' itself is not a problem.
> The problem is that calling `fill-region-as-paragraph' directly does not
> make sense in Org buffers - it will break the markup.

You are basically saying that refill-mode makes no sense in Org
buffers, right?  If fill-region-as-paragraph cannot be factored and/or
provide hooks for Org to customize it, then Org users should be told
not to use refill-mode in Org buffers.