Subject: Re: [bug#68412] [PATCH v2] scripts: edit: Accept generic formatting parameter.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 16:04:14 +0100

Am Samstag, dem 10.02.2024 um 12:01 +0100 schrieb Simon Tournier:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 10:58, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > Conventionally the submitter would push the patches past the final
> > line.  If you agree with the proposal, please go ahead; if you
> > don’t, we can discuss it further, though I think the discussion
> > should be proportional to the stakes.  (Personally I agree there’s
> > a risk of confusion like Simon noted but I’m fine either way.)
> 
> I agree with this paragraph.
> 
> 1. I think that the current placeholder can be confusing (quote vs
> double-quote).
Is this something we can fix by pointing out the single quotes, or is
it better not to try that?

> 2. The envisioned future feature with Gash is not clear for me.  So 
> I do not know what would be better.
To make it a little clearer, we currently have more or less
implementation-defined behaviour through calling system with a string-
join'ed command.  (This is not the best way of invoking an editor, but
it works, and it also works with EDITORs like "emacsclient -c" if your
shell is Bash – which Guix System has by default.)  If we were to pull
in Gash, we could process the command line a priori and then use
system* or invoke.

> 3. I do not have a strong opinion and I can live with whatever choice
> -- although I would live better if there is no confusion. ;-)
> 
> I propose {LINE} as placeholder because in case of #2 it would easy
> to support both {LINE} and ${LINE} then reducing some backward
> compatibilities issue.
What would be the way forward if we use {LINE} now?

Cheers