Subject: [bug#68412] [PATCH v2] scripts: edit: Accept generic formatting parameter.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:01:56 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 at 10:58, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Conventionally the submitter would push the patches past the final line.
> If you agree with the proposal, please go ahead; if you don’t, we can
> discuss it further, though I think the discussion should be proportional
> to the stakes.  (Personally I agree there’s a risk of confusion like
> Simon noted but I’m fine either way.)

I agree with this paragraph.

1. I think that the current placeholder can be confusing (quote vs
double-quote).

2. The envisioned future feature with Gash is not clear for me.  So  I
do not know what would be better.

3. I do not have a strong opinion and I can live with whatever choice
-- although I would live better if there is no confusion. ;-)

I propose {LINE} as placeholder because in case of #2 it would easy to
support both {LINE} and ${LINE} then reducing some backward
compatibilities issue.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon