Subject: Re: bug#68401: 30.0.50; ERC 5.6-git: `erc-cmd-GMSG', `erc-cmd-AMSG', `erc-cmd-GME', `erc-cmd-AME'. 2nd attempt

From: Emanuel Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:11:04 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I didn't find a command to change the commit message of the
>> patch
>
> The command you are looking for is
>
>   git commit --amend

Thank you and JP for the help with git commands, here are the
commands I accumulated only working on this small patch.

But I think it doesn't take that long to become fluent with
the git basics, after that overhead efforts are
less frustrating.

If one wants to `untabify' files on `save-buffer', but not in
cases like this, this is more tricky but as a poor man's
solution one can add exceptions to the function that does it,
like this

(defun untab-all ()
  (unless (member major-mode '(emacs-lisp-mode
                               makefile-gmake-mode
                               makefile-mode) ) ; exceptions
    (untabify (point-min) (point-max)))
  nil)

That last `nil' indicates it did not write the buffer to the
disk, used by `before-save-hook' - so it is useful, even tho
it looks funky in a defun.

$ git checkout -b ib master
...
$ git commit -a

$ git format-patch master -M -o .ib
M-x erc-bug RET
Tags: patch
C-c C-a (`mml-attach-file')
C-c C-c (`message-send-and-exit')

$ git log
$ git format-patch -2 HEAD --stdout > last-two.patch

$ git commit --amend

$ git branch
$ git branch -D ib

-- 
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal