Subject: Re: bug#68375: 29.1; lispref documentation fixes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:46:34 +0200

> From: Xiyue Deng <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:56:23 -0800
> 
> Please find the attached patches for a cumulation of documentation fixes
> for lispref up to chapter 19 that includes typos, formatting, etc.
> Please let me know if any changes need improvements and I'll adjust
> accordingly.

Thanks.  See below.

> --- a/doc/lispref/objects.texi
> +++ b/doc/lispref/objects.texi
> @@ -1573,7 +1573,7 @@ editing.
>  (@pxref{Files}) so they can be edited, but some are used for other
>  purposes.  Most buffers are also meant to be seen by the user, and
>  therefore displayed, at some time, in a window (@pxref{Windows}).  But
> -a buffer need not be displayed in any window.  Each buffer has a
> +a buffer needs not be displayed in any window.  Each buffer has a

This is not a typo: the wording here is correct English.  So I didn't
install this part.

>    A string is a fixed sequence of characters.  It is a type of
> -sequence called a @dfn{array}, meaning that its length is fixed and
> +sequence called an @dfn{array}, meaning that its length is fixed and

The "an" here is correct, since in a manual one sees "an array", which
is correct English.  So I didn't install this part.

>  For information about other concatenation functions, see the
> -description of @code{mapconcat} in @ref{Mapping Functions},
> +descriptions of @code{mapconcat} in @ref{Mapping Functions},

There's nothing wrong with using singular here, so I didn't install
this part.

> * doc/lispref/symbols.texi (Shorthands): Wrap `@pxref{Abbrevs}' in
> parentheses.

I installed this part.

> >From 454ed28e302493d678d2306b908c9542a8491daa Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Xiyue Deng <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:31:30 -0800
> Subject: [PATCH 5/6] Fix count of no-op functions
> 
> It looks like there are actually three kinds of no-op functions.
> 
> * doc/lispref/functions.texi (Calling Functions): Fix count and
> plural of no-op functions.

I installed this part as well.

> * doc/lispref/debugging.texi (Syntax Errors): Fix unmatched
> parentheses.

I didn't install this part, because there's nothing wrong with
parentheses here.  Using @pxref as below:

>    If the problem is not simply an imbalance of parentheses, a useful
> -technique is to try @kbd{C-M-e} (@code{end-of-defun}, @pxref{Moving by
> +technique is to try @kbd{C-M-e} (@code{end-of-defun}), @pxref{Moving by
>  Defuns,,,emacs, The GNU Emacs Manual}) at the beginning of each defun,

is perfectly correct.  So I didn't install this part.

Please note that with this contribution we've exhausted the amount of
changes we can accept from you without a copyright assignment.  Would
you like to start the legal paperwork of assigning to the FSF the
copyright for your future contributions?  If so, I will send you the
form to fill and the instructions to email the filled form.

Thanks, I will now close this bug.