Subject: Re: bug#68373: 29.1; Bug in MH-E's support for using openssl to generate the checksum

From: Marc Baaden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:18:58 +0100

Dear Mike,

I now did additional tests to try and get in the same state where I
observed the issue initially, before I had to upgrade my system due to
hardware incompatibility. I had a system disk backup from which I could
run the previous OS (Mac OS Catalina). Still, I am unable to reproduce
the issue. I have hidden the installed md5sum executables, removed the
previous mhe-index folder and started the folder indexing several times,
first with my original Emacs config, then with Emacs -Q, but now every
time I get the correct behavior.

Sorry about this. I don't know what else I coud try to get back to the
state where the issue occurred.

Best wishes,
Marc

Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> MH-E will look for md5sum, openssl, and md5, in that order.  The first
> one that it finds will be used.  So with just openssl and md5 installed,
> MH-E will use openssl.
> 
> Given that we are working with MacOS 10, I wonder if there is some
> incompatibility between MH-E and the openssl that is installed.  This
> could be in the command-line syntax or in the format of the output.
> 
> Marc, could you find a text file, run the following 2 commands, and then
> reply with the output from the commands?
> 
>   openssl version
> 
>   openssl md5 <path_to_text_file>
> 
> thanks,
> mike
>