Subject: bug#6837: closed (Re: bug#6837: Cannot view PNG images)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#6837: Cannot view PNG images

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
6837: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6837
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#6837: Cannot view PNG images
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:16:42 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 11/08/2010 05:46, [email-masked] wrote:
> Looking at the *Message* buffer, I see errors such as:
>
> PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> PNG warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
> PNG warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.37
>    

The message is quite self explanatory. You need to update your libpng 
installation.

Subject: Cannot view PNG images
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:46:13 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

With the new Emacs windows binary dated 2010-08-09, I cannot view images
such as the splash screen and the Gnus initial screen.

Looking at the *Message* buffer, I see errors such as:

PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
PNG warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
PNG warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.37

Appartently, something has changed since the Emacs windows binary version
dated 2010-08-02 with respect to the PNG libraries (libpng3.dll and
libpng12.dll), that the current Emacs windows binary dated 2010-08-09
wont display PNG images.  It just shows an empty box.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
f:/emacs-24.0.50/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-08-09 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags -Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp949
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
PNG warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
PNG warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.37
PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
PNG warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
PNG warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.37
PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
PNG warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.4.3
PNG warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.37
PNG error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

Load-path shadows:

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)