Subject: bug#68369: closed (Re: bug#68369: [BUG] Unexpected behaviour with Rmail starting from message #22)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 06:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68369: [BUG] Unexpected behaviour with Rmail starting from message #22

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68369: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68369
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68369: [BUG] Unexpected behaviour with Rmail starting from message #22
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:31:36 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:37:56 -0500
> 
>   > > It is not a matter of explanation -- rather, is there a way to
>   > > modify the feature a tiny bit such that its meaning will be evident.
> 
>   > Sorry, I still don't think I follow.  What kind of changes in the
>   > feature you had in mind that would make its meaning evident?
> 
> I don't have any specific ideas for that feature.  I'm suggesting that
> other people look for interface ideas to make this more self-explanatory.
> Maybe we will find one.  If not, well will still have the option of
> trying to explain it better.
> 
> If we don't find one, we will still have the option of documenting it
> better.

Thanks, I made the doc string more clear about the effect of the
option, and I'm therefore closing this bug.

Subject: [BUG] Unexpected behaviour with Rmail starting from message #22
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:01:32 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A. Open any Rmail mailbox with at least 22 messages. Suppose for 
simplicity that this Rmail mailbox is connected via imap to a remote 
mailbox which won't receive any new message for the duration of our 
experiment.
B. Place yourself over any message from 1 to 21: the echo area says 
nothing. Now press the key "g" to update your mailbox, the echo area 
displays "0 new messages read"
C. Place yourself over message number 22 or higher (say we choose number 
22): the echo area now says "Showing message 22...done"!! Now press the 
key "g" to update your mailbox, the echo area now displays "Showing 
message 22...done"!!

What is going on from message #22?