Subject: Re: bug#68352: 29.1; gnus-message-citation-mode removes values from font-lock-keywords

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 13:44:10 -0800

Morgan Willcock <[email-masked]> writes:

> When Gnus enables gnus-message-citation-mode in message buffers, as it
> does by default, it calls the function `font-lock-set-defaults' and
> loses any additional font-lock rules which may have been added by global
> minor-modes.

Thanks for the report. I don't know font locking well enough to know
what the right solution is here. It looks calling `font-lock-flush' will
also end up calling `font-lock-set-defaults' as well, at least with
default values:

font-lock-flush-function ->
font-lock-after-change-function ->
font-lock-fontify-region ->
font-lock-set-defaults

Is the problem setting `font-lock-set-defaults' to nil? Is there
anything else you can recommend?

Thanks,
Eric