Subject: Re: bug#68339: 29.1; Emacs doesn't support Microsoft PinYin Input Method well

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:48:26 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe that Emacs user from China could also suggest a patch for Emacs
> to fix this issue?
>
> Po Lu, any comments or suggestions?
>
> The Vim code uses ImmSetCompositionFont function to set the font.  I
> don't have a good idea how to choose a font for that function, but
> perhaps we could use ImmGetCompositionFont to retrieve the font used
> by default, and then change its height and call ImmSetCompositionFont?
>
> I'm just stabbing in the dark, and I don't have a way of testing these
> ideas anyway.

Is it impossible to search for any suitable font that approaches the
frame's font in size, as Emacs does on X in xic_create_xfontset?

There is one difference between composition text on X and on Windows:
the X input method, rather than Emacs, draws composition text onto the
window Emacs provides, and can choose not to respect Emacs's choice of
font.  But this is not relevant here, I think.