Subject: Re: bug#68334: 29.1; tool-bar-make-keymap-1 does not work on terminals

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 11:08:46 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I didn't intend to propose including the existing implementation as is,
>> which I hadn't looked closely at.  Having done that just now, it seems
>> like it's implemented on the tab bar, as Juri has pointed out.  I think
>> this is probably not the right thing for a feature in Emacs itself.
>
> How else do you expect this to be implemented on TTY frames?  It can
> either overwrite parts of the menu bar, or it could overwrite parts of
> the tab bar.  Something's gotta give, no?
>
> I also don't understand why the tab bar is deemed more important than
> the tool bar.  Let's let users decide what they prefer.  (Of course,
> if there's a way to let them have the cake and eat it, too, that would
> be the best.)
>
>> This feature would be most useful as a first class feature, but that
>> might require C changes.
>
> IMO, usurping one more screen line from TTY frames could be
> problematic, especially on terminals that display a relatively small
> number of lines.

You could add another line, so that you could use the tab-bar and the
tool-bar at the same time.  That would provide the most flexibility for
users, I think.  They would themselves get to decide how many lines to
sacrifice.  (Many users also have huge screens these days, including
vertical ones.)

That said, I don't at all object to the current implementation as an
optional feature in core, if you think it's a good idea.  There's no
reason to allow perfect to be the enemy of the good.