Subject: Re: bug#68333: Time bomb in icedtea/openjdk

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:10:40 +0100

Hi,

Thanks all for the quick fix.

Well, I am asking here but maybe such discussion would deserve its own
thread on guix-devel. :-)

On mer., 10 janv. 2024 at 15:35, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick investigation and patch!  I just realized that this
> affects current ‘master’ so we’d rather fix it soon.
>
> What do you think of the attached patch?  The difference is that it
> patches code at its root (in the actual source tarball rather than after
> it’s been copied), it does so for IcedTea 7 and 8, and there are patch
> files that are slightly clearer than a substitution pattern.

This fixes the future but not the past.  Hum, headache with guix
time-machine?  :-)

The question is twofold:

 1. Do we document that some Java stack is broken for “guix
    time-machine”?  Other said, have we an evaluation about which Guix
    revisions are broken for the stack of Java?

 2. Do we provide a “transformation” for fixing such break?  Something
    that rewrite on the fly the origin for patching it; accessible only
    via manifest.

WDYT?

Cheers,
simon