Subject: Re: [bug#68315] [PATCH v3 00/47] Extend bag-build to gexp.

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2025 12:25:27 +0200

On 2025-06-13 20:35, Simon Tournier wrote:

> Hi Nicolas,
>
> On Sun, 09 Feb 2025 at 01:50, Nicolas Graves via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Nicolas Graves (47):
>>   guix: packages: Extend bag-build to support gexp.
>
> [...]
>
>>  45 files changed, 334 insertions(+), 507 deletions(-)
>
> This series is tagged as ’moreinfo’.  What is the status?

Last news I did split the series in 3 parts after the discussion on
"Setting build-system properties for build-system builders" :

  1) The few patches improving the style of build-systems : has been
  merged already.
  
  2) The implementation of build-system-modules field : now there :
  https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/361
  
  3) The actual bag-build extension now there :
  https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/133

I thought that (2) was more obvious than (3) but seeing how it sparks
discussion, and some feedback from Andreas this morning, I now think
that (3) might actually be less debatable than (2).  Since (2) is not
strictly speaking a dependency of (3), I'll focus more on prommoting (3)
now.

Andreas advised me to make the case more about how it makes sense
(cleaner and more homogeneous build-systems) rather than about the tools
it allows me to build.  So any pair of eyes ready to review or approve
the patch series is very welcome, be it by email in 68315 or by on
https://codeberg.org/guix/guix/pulls/133.

One step I will investigate to make it better is pre-fix build-systems
that are currently incomplete or broken (in the sense of missing
allowed/disallowed-references or wrong guile package), so that we can
get those fixed and thus reviewing the patch-series would yield to no
rebuild at all, making it just about the guile code changes.

-- 
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves