Subject: [bug#68289] [PATCH] services: xorg: Add xorg-start-command-xinit procedure.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2024 11:57:07 +0200

Hi!

Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On 2024-05-02 11:55:28 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> The patch and the suggestions Fabio made look great to me.  Perhaps a
>> useful addition would be to add a service so one can write nothing more
>> than:
>>
>>   (service startx-command-service-type)
>>
>> to get a ‘startx’ command?  (Not a blocker though.)
>
> That sounds useful and I have no issue adding it into the v2.  Could I just ask
> you for a guidance regarding how to achieve that?  Currently I just place the
> script into ~/bin (which I have in the $PATH).  I assume the service will have
> to place the file... somewhere? on the $PATH to achieve the same.

I would extend ‘profile-service-type’ such that ‘startx’ appears in
/run/current-system/profile/bin.

It does mean that you need to create a computed-file that produces
/gnu/store/…/bin/startx (‘startx’ must be in a bin/ sub-directory).

How does that sound?

Ludo’.