Subject: [bug#68289] [PATCH] services: xorg: Add xorg-start-command-xinit procedure.

From: Fabio Natali <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 12:59:55 +0100

On 2024-04-19, 13:25 +0100, Fabio Natali <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2024-04-18, 23:09 +0200, Tomas Volf <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> first, let me thank you for the review, and apologize for somewhat
>> late response, sadly I have been busy.

Hi Tomas,

Sorry for the slow follow-up. After some further testing and some input
from other Guix friends, this is my humble feedback on what I'd put in a
v2 patch.

- Use Guix's 'invoke' instead of a custom 'checked-system*' procedure.

- Where possible, use '#$(file-append foobar "/bin/foo")' instead of
  '(string-append #$foobar "/bin/foo")', so that as much computation as
  possible happens at build time as opposed to run time. It's a
  microscopic difference, but still worth the change I think.

What do you think? Not urgent, but do you think this is something you
might be interested to include in a v2? No problem if you're busy, but
let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Tangentally, with regard to 'capture-stdout', I'm exploring if this is
something that could be added to '(guix build utils)'⁰ or perhaps
addressed in Guile¹ instead of Guix. This can be left as it is in the
patch, and potentially refactored away once a similar procedure is
available from Guix or Guile.

Thanks, best wishes, Fabio.

⁰ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-04/msg00199.html
¹ https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guile/2024-04/msg00015.html

-- 
Fabio Natali
https://fabionatali.com