Subject: bug#68254: EWW ‘readable’ by default

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:18:29 -0700

On 3/17/2024 9:32 PM, Adam Porter wrote:
> I'm not sure it would be a good idea to enable eww-readable by default. 
> IME eww-readable is not reliably effective enough to be used by default. 
>   I think that if it were, too many users would find that EWW would 
> produce unusable results by default, and they'd likely blame EWW itself 
> rather than eww-readable, being unaware that eww-readable were even 
> involved.

I agree overall. It's hard to know for sure if a web page will look ok 
in readable mode without trying it first.

That's why I opted to keep the default behavior unchanged in my patch. 
It just makes it possible to add 'eww-readable' to 
'eww-after-render-hook' without producing duplicate history entries. 
That way, if most of the pages you visit *are* readable, you can set it 
up like that and still get to the full view by calling 'eww-readable' again.

> I like Jim's idea of having an option of URL-matching regexps that 
> automatically activate eww-readable.  That does sound useful.

Yeah, I think I might add that in, since 1) I'd find it useful, 2) it 
should be easy, and 3) the Safari browser already supports this, so 
there's already precedent elsewhere. (It's arguably even more relevant 
for EWW than Safari, since many webpages are a real mess in EWW without 
readable-mode.)