Subject: [bug#68250] [PATCH v2] gnu: mpv: Fix pkgconfig file.

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 14:37:56 -0500

Hi Hilton,

[...]

>> I've just seen this, after pushing a hot fix as
>> f3fdb4e041cb5740ba0b38b9ad017571f8414d33, which propagates all listed
>> libraries in Requires.private.
>>
>> I suppose that someone wanting to build something statically from mpv
>> would benefit from having the original mpv.pc file without
>> modifications.
>>
>> Perhaps we can try it out for a bit, and if the propagation causes
>> problems, we can fall-back to this change here?
>
>
> Then we should follow the approach in v1 to add libmpv as a separate package.
> I'll send v3 later.

Actually I don't think we need to split out a library for mpv here;
there are two things we can do in the short term:

1. Build MPV strictly as a shared library (-Dbuild=shared) or something
in Meson.  Then Meson doesn't output all these Requires.private
dependencies, which are only useful for static linking, and which
pkg-config confusingly uses for its --exists check.

2. On core-updates, I've been experimenting with replacing pkg-config
with pkgconf, which seems to be designed better for avoiding the above
pkg-config's pitfall.  Currently stuck on a hard to understand cycle.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim