Subject: bug#68249: closed (Re: bug#68249: 30.0.50; Rmail summaries much slower)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#68249: 30.0.50; Rmail summaries much slower

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
68249: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68249
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#68249: 30.0.50; Rmail summaries much slower
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 02:03:21 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I found the cause of the problem a few days later, and fixed it.

I'm therefore closing this bug report.  Let me know if that's wrong, and
I'll reopen it.  Thanks.

Subject: 30.0.50; Rmail summaries much slower
From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2024 23:23:37 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In master from Jan 1, making Rmail summaries has become far
slower than it was on July 2.  I am calling rmail-summary-by-topic
and have around 7000 messages in the RMAIL file.  It takes many secnds
to finish, now.

Can anyone suggest a way to investigate the cause of the slowdown?

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 2.24.32, cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-01-02 built on freetop
Repository revision: 1c369263db826a02e01d4209c7b6b8617971c37c
Repository branch: master
System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Nabia (10.0)

Configured using:
 'configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g' --with-gnutls=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBOTF
LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG
SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: linux
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug shortdoc comp-common rmail-spam-filter rmailedit
rmailsort undigest kmacro cl-extra parse-time iso8601 vc-cvs vc-rcs
log-view easy-mmode pcvs-util mhtml-mode css-mode eww xdg url-queue
mm-url gnus nnheader range wid-edit color js c-ts-common cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs sgml-mode facemenu format-spec battery dbus diff
help-fns radix-tree mule-util display-line-numbers grep compile etags
fileloop generator xref quail epa-mail sh-script rx smie treesit
executable shell pcomplete comint ansi-osc ring tabify imenu man
ansi-color rect thingatpt help-mode novice project misearch
multi-isearch ispell textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize
uni-confusable textsec-check shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg xml
dom dabbrev mailalias rmailout rmailkwd qp rmailmm message sendmail
yank-media puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 files-x dired-aux
dired dired-loaddefs t-mouse term/linux view derived disp-table advice
rmailsum rmail rfc6068 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils finder-inf osm-autoloads info compat-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 533533 109378) (symbols 48 18701 4)
 (strings 32 94791 7168) (string-bytes 1 3149144) (vectors 16 70370)
 (vector-slots 8 1635953 197499) (floats 8 246 373)
 (intervals 56 43446 492) (buffers 976 64))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)