Subject: bug#68246: 30.0.50; Add non-TS mode as extra parent of TS modes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:46:00 +0200

> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 07:47:27 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,
>  Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 19/01/2024 07:12, Yuan Fu wrote:
> > 
> > I don’t have anything insightful to contribute, but want to point out that in Emacs, “language” doesn’t always mean programming language. “Language” can also mean Chinese, English, etc, and Emacs are quite often used for editing natural language text. So it warrants some caution when using “language” to mean programming language specifically.
> 
> That's a good point.
> 
> But hopefully when the suffix -lang or -language is used in the symbol 
> name, the preceding word(s) will make it unambiguous.

Unfortunately, it doesn't.  Witness the parallel discussion of
translating the manual into other languages.

Which is one (but not the only) reason why I asked repeatedly in this
thread not to use the notion of "language" in this context: it is
confusing for more than one reason.  I think Stefan suggested "content
type" or something to that effect, which is better terminology, IMO.