Subject: Re: bug#68246: 30.0.50; Add non-TS mode as extra parent of TS modes

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 23:29:42 +0000

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 2:32 AM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As I said at the very beginning of this long thread, I'm not completely
> sure how well my proposal will play out: the upsides are in plain sight,
> but it may bump into real problems.  [ I'm actually surprised by Eli's
> optimism about it 🙂 ]
> But we won't know until we try it.

It solves some things (that are already solved anyway).  But I think the
downsides are also in plain sight.  It doesn't solve common problems
in Eglot and Markdown-mode.  It's awkward to explain the hook and
dir-locals situations.  Some assertive docs on what the new foo-mode extra
parent means could make it better though.

I think Dmitry's 5-legged chair analogy is reasonably accurate.  We can
build it easily, yes.  People will sit on it, sure.  But it'll never
go with the furniture or be ergonomic, even if they never bump their
pinky toe in the extra leg.

We have boring old 4-legged chairs readily available (base modes) and
we can think of more elegant chairs.  What do you think of Dmitry's patch?