Subject: bug#68246: 30.0.50; Add non-TS mode as extra parent of TS modes

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:34:16 +0000

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 2:35 AM Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Basically, the biggest weakness of Stefan M's solution is the biggest
> > strength of João's and vice versa: "backwards-compatibility" (if we can
> > call it that) vs "clean taxonomy".
>
> While a fresh new taxonomy could definitely be cleaner, seeing how it
> can be designed with 40 years of hindsight, I believe "clean taxonomy"
> is an oxymoron.

"clean taxonomy" is most definitely a oxymoron :-)  But is this really a
"taxonomy"?  I see no real categorization or classification.  I just see
a many-to-one mapping of major modes to languages.  I don't see any
conceptual wrinkles, can you point to one?  Can you point to some
concrete major modes inheriting from prog-mode where it's not easy
to give a reasonable answer to the question: what language is this
major mode for?

I don't think it's a problem if we have to choose between "JS" and
"JavaScript". Just pick one, and adapt to external systems if needed
at the boundaries.