Subject: bug#68236: [PATCH] help.el: allow help-quick to use local commands/quick-sections

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 07:50:46 -0800

JD Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On Jan 10, 2024, at 7:51 AM, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> We could also add a separate command to show only those commands
>> somehow in a similar way to `help-quick-toggle'.
>
> One advantage of this approach is you can craft your *own* short
> command description, if the docstring or command name is not clear to
> you (things like org-ctrl-return being prime examples).  But what
> about instead of a separate command to remember, just creating an
> (optional) section in the existing help-quick popup, for local
> commands?  where-is-internal would consult the global keymap for the
> global commands, and the current buffer’s keymap for the locals.

That might make sense, yes.  In that case, perhaps we could also add an
option to disable the global keybindings, for advanced users, so that
only the mode specific ones were displayed.

But I would separate this into two changes:
- A "cheatsheet" module
- Support for the cheatsheet module in help-quick-toggle

Because I can then imagine other ways of displaying and using the
cheatsheets (such as the way I proposed).  IOW, I would avoid tightly
coupling the cheatsheet functionality to help-quick-toggle.