Subject: bug#68235: 29.1.90; Switching tabs stops following process output in selected window

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:58:51 +0200

>> OTOH, since there is a need to save more variables together with the
>> window configuration such as dired-filename and revert-buffer-function
>> anyway, maybe it would be possible to save the last buffer name in the
>> same alist?  Or the last buffer name should be used as a key in such
>> an alist?  Probably no.  It seems a key should be a window unless
>> such data is saved in a window parameter.
>
> Note that the name of a buffer may change in the period lasting from
> when you saved the window configuration until the buffer gets killed.
> Any such change is handled by 'kill-buffer' but cannot be easily traced
> when you save the name together with a window configuration.  You could
> try 'buffer-list-update-hook' but that might be overkill.  And if you
> saved that name in a permanent window parameter, you are lost anyway
> because you cannot access the parameter in the saved configuration.

Depends on the needs.  With your patch that adds 'keep_windows'
it doesn't matter what an old buffer name to show in the window
with the killed buffer.  It even makes more sense to show the
same buffer name that was displayed in that window configuration
before the buffer was renamed later.

> A similar thing may happen to dired-filename and revert-buffer-function
> but there are hardly any suitable means to reasonably trace changes to
> what these stand for in the first place.

Indeed, currently 'dired-revert' can't reasonably handle the
situation with the deleted files even in another window.